Privacy Information Management Statement
Reckon Limited ("Quicken") publishes and distributes a range of personal and business financial management software and provides technical support and training services to software end-users.
We are required to comply with the National Privacy Principles contained in the Privacy Act 1988.
The privacy and security of the personal information that we hold about you is very important to us. This Statement is a requirement of the National Privacy Principles, and should assist you in understanding how we collect and deal with your personal information.
Collection of Personal Information
We most commonly collect information from our customers in the following circumstances:
- Upon registration by you of any of the Quicken software range or services offered through the www.quicken.com.au website or through retail and other sales channels.
- Upon the purchasing of upgraded versions or renewal of subscription versions of Quicken software, often in response to our having communicated with you about such upgrades.
- Upon the joining, or renewal, of various Quicken programs, including Quicken Advantage or the Quicken Professional Partner program.
There are other less frequent instances where we collect personal information, such as when financial details are sought from persons or businesses who seek to be Quicken product resellers, where stock is provided on credit.
The information collected would generally comprise name, address, postal address, telephone, fax and e-mail contact details, as well as the details of the Quicken product that you use. High level information in relation to your business may be also be collected. Should you contact us requiring technical or similar assistance, information relating to your problem and our suggested solutions are also recorded by us to assist in better customer relationship management.
Personal information may also be collected when customers sign up for add-on services provided by third party suppliers such as debt recovery services, software training services, share trading services, banking services, bill payments services and the like. In these cases personal information may also be passed on to the third party suppliers.
We also collect information from delegates who attend our seminar series as well as other public events where registration forms and feedback forms are filled out by attendees. The information collected may be used to promote our products and services as well as those of some of our network of associated service providers and product vendors.
How we use this information
We use your personal information in the following way:
- We collect personal information so that we can communicate with you about the software product that you use and efficiently manage and administer all products and services we provide to you. These communications could relate to software upgrades, feature variations or enhancements, any particular issues or problems that have been detected within the software and corrective measures that may be taken, and informing you of other Quicken products and services, including the availability of specialised, software specific, stationery products, debt recovery services, software training services, share trading services, banking services, seminars relating to associated products such as share trading classes and other types of classes.
- Identification and revalidation of software end-users assists Quicken in establishing who is legally permitted to use the various Quicken software applications and therefore assists us in enforcing copyright and intellectual property rights.
- In the process of product installation a file on your hard drive records the date of installation. This is not personal information but is a product number unique to the computer on which the product is installed. This assists us to regularly revalidate that the product is being used on the correct computer and is not installed on other computers without your authority and outside the terms of our licence.
- In the case of Quicken Advantage, the additional questions we ask in relation to your business assist us in developing a member profile so that future offerings that may be developed for program participants are relevant and appropriately targeted. As part of the Quicken Advantage service we also send correspondence to Advantage members (including by e-mail) containing product and services related information as well as promotional material.
- Aggregated information (containing no information relating to a specific person) may sometimes be used for research and analysis purposes by us or contracted service providers for us to better understand statistical trends in industry and product usage.
- In the case of financial information requested from parties wishing to be resellers and, as such, be provided with Quicken software stock on credit terms, this information is used to perform credit referencing and checking.
If you would prefer not to receive communications from us that are not related to the bullet points above please let us know by:
calling on 1300 QUICKEN (1300 784 253), or
emailing email@example.com, or
faxing (02) 9577 5557, or
writing to The Privacy Officer, Reckon Limited, Locked Bag 15, PO Broadway, NSW, 2007
With the exception of the final bullet point above (where the information is disclosed to a credit referencing bureau), very little external disclosure of your personal information is made by Quicken. In the event that an external party wishes to communicate with any or all parts of the Quicken user/Advantage member database, and Quicken is agreeable to this communication being sent, we would generally undertake the communication on behalf of the external party (but at their cost) so that access to the personal information of our customer remains with Quicken.
Quicken may use, from time to time, external service providers to facilitate communications with its customers, for example a mail house. In these circumstances, Quicken may provide personal contact/address information to the external service provider to enable the communication to be dispatched. Such information is provided to the external service provider on the strict basis that it be used for this purpose only and agreements are put in place to ensure this.
Access to Information
The National Privacy Principles provide you with the right to access the personal information that we hold in relation to you. If you would like details of the personal information which we may hold about you or, if you would like to correct any of the information that we hold, please contact us as follows:
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us:
The Privacy Officer
Reckon Limited (t/as Quicken Australia)
Locked Bag 15
PO Broadway NSW 2007
We have internal procedures in place to deal with such requests, and we may require further information from you to verify your identity.
Information held by Third Parties
As a company incorporated in Australia and listed on the Australian Stock Exchange, Quicken is required to maintain a register of members pursuant to the Corporations Law. This function has been contracted to an external provider, Computershare Investor Services Pty Limited ("CIS"). It is the usual practice for registers of listed companies to be managed by third parties. CIS manages the members' register on behalf of Quicken, which includes personal information relating to name and address details, security-holding balances, tax file numbers, bank account details and e-mail addresses. CIS has its own Privacy Statement as to how it deals with personal information, and Quicken shareholders are directed to www.computershare.com website for further information.
An electronic customer management and database system is used to store most of the personal information. This system is accessed by authorised users and contains security features to ensure the protection and integrity of the data that we hold.
Should you have any queries in relation to this Privacy Information Management Statement or to issues generally surrounding the private information that we hold about you, please contact the Privacy Officer at the addresses referred to above. Similarly, any complaints in relation to privacy related issues should also be directed to either of these addresses.
From time to time, this statement may be amended. An up-to-date version of the Privacy Statement will always appear at the www.quicken.com.au website. Furthermore, you may request a hard-copy of this Statement from either the addresses referred to above or by telephoning
Australia: 1300 QUICKEN (1300 784 253)